Updated on Feb 5, 2012
The very first Super Bowl was played on January 15, 1967. Forty-six NFL championship games have been played since then and, during that period of time, many National Football League teams have made multiple visits to the game.
Four NFL teams have made at least six appearances in a Super Bowl championship game: the Pittsburgh Steelers, Dallas Cowboys, New England Patriots and the Denver Broncos
Pittsburgh Steelers Super Bowl Appearances
The Pittsburgh Steelers are tied with the Dallas Cowboys on the list of championship appearances with trips to eight Super Bowls: 9, 10, 13, 14, 30, 40, 43, and 45.
- Super Bowl IX – January 12, 1975: The Steelers won their first of a record six NFL championships by defeating the Minnesota Vikings 16-6.
- Super Bowl X – January 18, 1976: Pittsburgh met the Cowboys and won their second title with a score of 21-17.
- Super Bowl XIII – January 21, 1979: The Steelers faced the Cowboys again and won the contest 35-31.
- Super Bowl XIV – January 20, 1980: Pittsburgh won its fourth championship title by beating the Los Angeles Rams 31-19.
- Super Bowl XXX – January 28, 1996: The Steelers lost their only championship game to the Cowboys 27-17.
- Super Bowl XL – February 5, 2006: The Pittsburgh Steelers faced the Seattle Seahawks and won by a score of 21-10.
- Super Bowl XLIII – February 1, 2009: Pittsburgh won a record sixth national title by defeating the Arizona Cardinals 27-23.
- Super Bowl XLV – February 6, 2011: The Green Bay Packers defeated the Steelers by the score of 31-25.
Dallas Cowboys Super Bowl Appearances
The Dallas Cowboys have also made eight trips to the Super Bowl. Joining the NFL in 1960, the Cowboys struggled during their first few years but finally claimed their first winning season in 1966 and set a record of twenty consecutive winning seasons.
The Cowboys advanced to play for the NFL national championship in Super Bowls 5, 6, 10, 12, 13, 27, 28, and 30.
- Super Bowl V – January 17, 1971: The Cowboys lost to the Baltimore Colts 16-13.
- Super Bowl VI – January 16, 1972: On their repeat trip to the Super Bowl, the Cowboys defeated the Miami Dolphins 24-3.
- Super Bowl X – January 18, 1976: Facing the Pittsburgh Steelers, the Cowboys lost by a score of 21-17.
- Super Bowl XII – January 15, 1978: The Dallas Cowboys earned their second championship title by defeating the Denver Broncos 27-10.
- Super Bowl XIII – January 21, 1979: In their fifth appearance in eight years, the Cowboys lost to the Steelers again 35-31.
- Super Bowl XXVII – January 31, 1993: The Cowboys won their third title by beating the Buffalo Bills 52-17.
- Super Bowl XXVIII – January 30, 1994: The Cowboys repeated as Super Bowl champions by beating Buffalo again by a score of 30-13.
- Super Bowl XXX – January 28, 1996: The Cowboys beat the Pittsburgh Steelers in their third championship match-up 27-17 to claim their fifth title.
New England Patriots Super Bowl Appearances
The New England Patriots have won three of their seven appearances in Super Bowls 20, 31, 36, 38, 39, 42, and 46.
- Super Bowl XX – January 26, 1986: The Patriots lost to the Chicago Bears 46-10.
- Super Bowl XXXI – January 26, 1997: New England lost to the Green Bay Packers 35-21.
- Super Bowl XXXVI – February 3, 2002: The Patriots won their first championship by defeating the St. Louis Rams 20-17.
- Super Bowl XXXVIII – February 1, 2004: New England defeated the Carolina Panthers by a score of 32-29.
- Super Bowl XXXIX – February 6, 2005: The Patriots beat the Philadelphia Eagles 24-21.
- Super Bowl XLII – February 3, 2008: The New England Patriots, undefeated through the regular season, lost the Super Bowl to the New York Giants17-14.
- Super Bowl XLVI – February 5, 2012. In a rematch of the 2008 game the favored Patriots were once again upset by the Giants with a score of 21-17.
Denver Broncos Super Bowl Appearances
The Denver Broncos are in fourth place with six championship game trips and two wins. The club has played in Super Bowls 12, 21, 22, 24, 32, and 33.
- Super Bowl XII – January 15, 1978: The Denver Broncos lost to the Dallas Cowboys 27-10.
- Super Bowl XXI – January 25, 1987: Facing the New York Giants, the Broncos lost by a score of 39-20.
- Super Bowl XXII -January 31, 1988: In a repeat Super Bowl, the Broncos were defeated by the Washington Redskins 42-10.
- Super Bowl XXIV – January 28, 1990: Denver met the San Francisco 49ers but lost 55-10.
- Super Bowl XXXII – January 25, 1998: The Broncos earned their first Super Bowl title beating the Green Bay Packers 31-24.
- Super Bowl XXXIII – January 31, 1999: The Broncos repeated as Super Bowl champs defeating the Atlanta Falcons by a score of 34-19.
Summary of Most Super Bowl Appearances by NFL Teams
The Cowboys, Steelers, Patriots, and Broncos have competed in a total of 25 Super Bowls with three of the teams facing each other in four of the games. The Dallas Cowboys met the Pittsburgh Steelers in Super Bowls 10, 13, and 30 with the Steelers winning the first two but losing the third. The Cowboys also faced the Denver Broncos in Super Bowl 12 and won that contest.
While other NFL teams have played hard enough to advance to the NFL’s championship game multiple times four teams, the Dallas Cowboys, Pittsburgh Steelers, New England Patriots and Denver Broncos have been the most successful. However, as times goes on other teams are likely to join their ranks.
Related Articles on the Super Bowl
- NFL Super Bowl History – Most Lopsided Wins – This article reveals which Super Bowls ended up as the largest blowout victories.
- Most Super Bow Wins by NFL Teams – Learn which three teams have won at least five NFL Championship games each.
- NFL Super Bowl History – Closest Scoring Games – Find out which Super Bowl games had the closest margin of victory.
- Top Ten Super Bowl Quarterbacks in Passing Yards – Who are the top passers in Super Bowl history?